Heart & Soul Hospice Statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Heart & Soul Hospice is continuing to deliver the most personalized hospice services where care is needed, whether in the home or in a health care community. Our team is taking proactive measures to reduce and prevent exposure to COVID-19 and we are committed to the protection of patients and residents of health care communities from the spread of infectious disease. We are accepting new patients, providing quality, patient-focused services and as always, are here to support our community.
We continue to monitor any changes in guidelines issued by the CDC, The National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization (NPCO) and local public health authorities.
Practicing high standards for infection prevention and control have always been a priority for Heart and Soul Hospice. We are dedicated to the health and well-being of our patients and staff and want to share the precautions we are taking.
Our team has developed a “social distancing plan” geared towards reducing person-to-person contact, including postponing our monthly bereavement support groups and limiting personnel and visitors to our administrative offices. Additionally, many direct-care team members will work remotely from home when not providing care. We have implemented additional precautions to safeguard both employees and patients by taking employee temperatures each morning and again before entering any skilled nursing or assisted living communities. Furthermore, employees are screened each day with the following questions:
- Have you traveled domestically to a state with active community-based COVID-19 cases in the past 14 days? (California, Washington, etc.)
- Have you traveled internationally within the last 14 days to countries with sustained community transmission? For updated information on affected countries visit: www.cdc.gov
- Are you experiencing signs or symptoms of a respiratory infection, such as a fever, cough, and sore throat?
- In the last 14 days, have you had contact with someone with or under investigation for COVID-19, or someone ill with respiratory illness?
- Do you reside in a community where community-based spread of COVID-19 is occurring?
Heart and Soul Hospice is affiliated with Presbyterian Manors of Mid-America (PMMA), an organization with more than 70 years of experience in delivering care to seniors. The PMMA and Heart and Soul leadership teams are meeting regularly to evaluate and review precautionary steps to minimize the risk of infection with Coronavirus (COVID-19) for patients, families, staff and volunteers.
Some helpful reminders for all of us:
- Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly and always before eating or drinking. Wash for at least 20 seconds with soap and water, and use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer to kill germs.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, mouth, and face with unwashed hands.
- Cough or sneeze into your elbow or into a tissue. If you use a tissue, dispose of it in the trash immediately.
- If you have cold and flu symptoms, or are not feeling well, please stay home.
At Heart & Soul Hospice, our patient-focused service teams are committed to delivering the best care imaginable. Should you or a loved one like to learn more about hospice care or if you or a family member have any questions or concerns, please contact Heart & Soul Hospice of Farmington, MO at 573-756-7066 or Heart & Soul Hospice of Wichita at 316-652-6212.